Tuesday, May 28, 2024

 

HUNDRED NOT OUT.. I AM STILL BATTING

  ~ Autobiography of Insulin   [P.S: Islets= has beta cells that secrete hormone]

 


Lend me thy ears and eyes, Oh! my fetal  life for you all on show

One in eleven in the world, Diabetes, a fact too good to be true,

From days immemorial, this giant killer has no parallels till now,

Research points the pancreas, the prime factor of the real woe.

 

Islets go dry, auto immune or inherited, failing in its prime duty

Children suffered a lot, no means to control rising blood glucose,

Death in first two decades of lives, oft uninvited, turns up for duty

Ligated pancreatic duct in dogs, dead gland’s sap was of no use.

                                                                                            Banting, this doctor just out of medical school, did see the plight,

Dissuaded by his mentor, allowed his assistant to join the fight,

Thought differently, he let islets cells too in ligation in foresight

Banting and Best scripted my gene, I geared up for a regal exit.

   

Many a dog in sacrifice, a new sap ready for test on a boy of teen

He was dying, the juice did world of good, got better all the same,

Adverse scenes from the impure sap, thoughts all set in revision,

Refined process saw my birth from islets, hence I got my name.

                                                    

I could at last give rebirths to many young diabetics with impunity,

Their life extended by many a decade, I felt pride in my discovery

My arrival changed the scenario, the world rejoicing relentlessly,

Diabetics had a renaissance with my birth, needing me endlessly. 


In diabetic emergencies, the clinicians seek my presence eagerly,

Sighing with relief in diabetic coma, and ever in a surgical remedy,

I had grown up in your midst, still young to serve you with dignity,

Scored a century of years, a coveted feat in medical discovery.


I am undefeated, indefatigable, going strong with all my cousins,

Serving the diabetics with pride, enhancing their lifespan encore,

On my centenary year, I am still a humble hormone in your islets,    

Will come out from factory, if thy inputs are poor, thy needs more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

   A ROYAL BIRTH AND AN EARLY DEMISE     AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A 2000 RUPEE NOTE           E...